Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
Marbles

Nike Pinwheel

Post by Marbles »

Hi,
Hopefully this is more hopeful than the reissue shirt I got faked out on. This one has a sportswear tag. Is this one real? Whats it worth? Cheers for any help
Nike Pinwheel
pin1.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 7894 times
Nike Pinwheel
pin2.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 7894 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Nike Pinwheel

Post by jimmyj »

What's the measurement pit to pit? hows the tag look? potentially sewn in?
Jimmy J

Marbles

Post by Marbles »

Hi,
Its 18" across the chest. I have other sportswear shirts that are not nike. It looks like the tag is sewn in the same way.

oscar

Post by oscar »

This is a great shirt! It seems like the price for Nike fluctuates a LOT from week to week, but with that pinwheel design if you put it on auction (offering international shipping) I think it would hit triple digits with no problem, even with the sportswear tag.

oscar

Post by oscar »

I think the tag is okay since it not a basic running stitch.

Marbles

Post by Marbles »

Hi,
I would be tempted to put this on ebay. Start it at .99? I collect shirts here and there. So I am always looking. This one was 2$. It looks like someone fixed one of the sleeves. It makes me curious that someone took time to fix the sleeve and then put in a fake tag to be found at the salvation army. Do I put it up not knowing if it is legit or not? Im really confused? Triple digits meaning 100 or 1,000....Thanks guys

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Measurement seems right. A while back we had someone posting pictures of a similar "vintage" 70s nike tee and the chest was 23" or something crazy.

Sportswear is one of the brands that have certain tags that look like they could be sewn in - with that exposed stitching at the top. I believe this is called a serge stitch. While come of their tags are anchored between the hem.

So if any tag is going to look like that- certain Sportswears pass. And don't worry about it not being a Nike tag - they didn't always have their own tags.

You have a point with fixing the sleeve - just make sure to mention it's been professionally repaired - and show a big closeup of that job and the tag so people don't think you're trying to hide anything.

Why someone would go through so much trouble - take a modern day Nike repro in size small - find a Sportswear tag - then swap out the tag...without trying to sell it online - sounds far fetched. But the mysterious occurrence of the sewn in tag was never solved:

real-repro-f8/the-mysterious-occurrence ... 46-10.html

triple digits = 100 - 999

post a link to the auction once it's live!
Jimmy J

Marbles

Post by Marbles »

Thanks,
Im trying to put it up now. Ill check here before I do. Should I start it at .99?

Marbles

Post by Marbles »

I have it listed.......
Wish me luck.....
Thanks for help guys.
Here is the listing. I always get nervous That things listed for .99 end up selling for .99.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1003909389

oscar

Post by oscar »

If it ends at 99 cents don't feel bad. Be happy. For me. Because I will have a valuable new Nike shirt in my online shop. Muahahahahaha!