Support for our marketplace which is now defunct.
jimmyj
Site Admin

Photographing Tees

Post by jimmyj »

Hey guys and gals -

After 10 years of photographing tees, it's time to streamline the process. For a while I was laying tees on the ground, then standing above to take the shot. Dubbed "vintage t-shirt squats" I would feel a burn in my legs and back after shooting 50 tees.

Then I boosted the tees up on a table and took the squat and lower back tweeking bend for the shot out of the equation, although the tees were always shot at a slight angle and I'd have to edit them later to remove unwanted background stuff that now made its way into the borders.

Could this be the solution?

http://fstoppers.com/shooting-overhead- ... tripod-arm

Anyone have this? or anything similar? what methods do you use to do the sought after birds eye view with no legs in the shot photo?
Jimmy J

blancobros

Re: Photographing Tees

Post by blancobros »

That's a cool idea!

I did a quick glance and found some cheaper alternatives on ebay (an arm that attaches on an existing stand or tripod) and found some other DIY solutions, but that definitely looks like the sturdiest.

B&H also had a chrome version which was cheaper.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... m/alsVwDtl

Also an extending arm by Photek. (but is back ordered)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... m/alsVwDtl

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Nice. There's some on eBay now - one where the buyer is taking offers.

We just got a new cam too - it has wifi and an app that allows you to snap the photos remotely using a phone.

bye bye back pain caused by photos?
Jimmy J

FroBackVintage

Post by FroBackVintage »

Hi Jimmy,

First off, I can't thank you enough for providing this awesome platform. All the priceless info from you and the rest of the users here is greatly appreciated!!

Could you please elaborate on why you choose to lay shirts flat and shoot them overhead as opposed to other methods of displaying?

What do you think about using a table top dress form/mannequin bust and shooting straight forward on a tripod?

Thanks!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

That works too! I still think live models are the best, but super time consuming.

The advantage to flat is that you can see the shape of the tee - get a clear shot of the graphic and any marks. I used a torso for some vintage clothing items and found taking garments on and off and was more time consuming. With flat overhead I can lay it out, snap a shot and flip it quickly and take another shot. Mannequin isn't near as quick - sometimes you end up fiddling with the just so certain wrinkles don't muck up the best shot. When you're doing a couple of hundred tees at a time - the extra time can really add up.

With overhead shots you can also control the background better - and don't have to worry as much about lighting, there's less shadows - it's just more a straight up, quicker way of presenting a tee.
Jimmy J

cokenner

Post by cokenner »

I just started using a mannequin toros. Loving it opposed to hanging the shirt or laying it down on the ground. I know the feeling with the back and muscle burn and sometimes a light sweat!

FroBackVintage

Post by FroBackVintage »

Good to hear you like the mannequin. Does yours have arms?

As a collector and wearer, sleeve size can be important. In my opinion huge sleeves can look awkward on an otherwise nice fitting shirt, so perhaps laying flat gives the buyer a better idea as opposed to using a hanger or torso with no arms?

Have you guys ever run into customers with sleeve issues?

Thanks!

FroBackVintage

Post by FroBackVintage »

Just scored this for free from a studio/shop that was moving. It's about 13" pit to pit. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attachments
Photographing Tees

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

looks slick - fills out the chest well too.
Jimmy J

blancobros

Post by blancobros »

I used clamshell body forms like that at work all of the time. Since they are only half a body deep, shirts always looked a bit weird on them. We use do one of two things to make them look a little bit better, tie a knot in the back shirt or use clothes pins to "tight" the shirts.

I lucked into two mannequin torsos (male and female) for free when the company I worked for closed. I love them and use them all of the time.

Though at some point, I'd love to lay items flat and shoot overhead for increased speed and ease.