Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
DoobieMcJoints

1966-68 Adam West Era Batman T Shirt?

Post by DoobieMcJoints »

Could this be the oldest known Batman t shirt?

I did some digging and the only other piece of memorabilia with this particular batman image is from this 1966 Batman - The Caped Crusader poster on Etsy.

Some good info about the artist came from that listing:
This is a RARE VINTAGE ORIGINAL 1966 BATMAN THE CAPED CRUSADER POSTER, it's VERY BIG, and it features the artwork of long-time silver age Batman and Brave and the Bold artist CARMINE INFANTINO. This 1960's Dark Knight detective poster was produced by a company called G&F Posters of New York City (NYC), who also produced 1966 posters of Superman and Robin the Boy Wonder.
Could this t shirt, in fact, pre-date the Adam West Batman movie of 1966 and be a comic book promo t shirt?

Here's an Infantino Pinup Batman #181 (June, 1966)
So if this truly is one of the oldest known Batman t shirts around the real question is....what's it worth?
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: 1966-68 Adam West Era Batman T Shirt?

Post by jimmyj »

Awesome tee. I think you're right as to when the image is from - just tough to prove the tee is from the same date. Is it a kids tee?
Jimmy J

DoobieMcJoints

Re: 1966-68 Adam West Era Batman T Shirt?

Post by DoobieMcJoints »

Hey Jimmy.

I figured it would be hard to put a date on this shirt. The tag is big and completely faded as you often see on shirts from the 60s/70s. I've done so much digging and simply cannot find another. I even reached out to a 60s Batman comic enthusiast and he stated that yes it is in fact an Infantino Batman design but he had never come across this particular piece of memorabilia.

Looks more like a modern medium and to me appears to be 100 cotton.

The measurements are as follows:

Pit to Pit: 18 in
Top to Bottom: 24 in
Sleeve: 7.5 in