Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
Justin B

Mr. Goodbar Tee: Star 77 & LRY Star 80 on Back, College Lane Tag

Post by Justin B »

Hello Defunkd'ers,

I'm seeking help in learning more about a Mr. Goodbar T-Shirt that I just found.

It has a College Lane Tag. And on the back it has "STAR 77" and "LRY STAR 80". (See photos.) It's single stitch and made of 50/50 material.

Any idea what "STAR 77" and "LRY STAR 80" mean? (When I do a Google search, the 1983 movie "Star 80" pops up. And that gets me thinking about the 1977 movie "Looking for Mr. Goodbar".)

Also any thoughts as to the approximate age of the t-shirt?

Thanks for your help.
Justin
Attachments
college lane t-shirt tag
college lane t-shirt tag

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Mr. Goodbar Tee: Star 77 & LRY Star 80 on Back, College Lane Tag

Post by jimmyj »

Hey man!

At first glance I thought that tag looked pretty old, they did a great job of designing it as such. But it also seemed kinda odd to be 50/50 - usually, tags that have that look are from the 100% cotton era.

I checked our database and couldn't find it, after Googling realized it looks to be a 90s/00s retro brand - there are other examples floating around, even another Hershey's one.

None of the others I found online like yours have any back detail. I'm assuming that was added by someone aftermarket, not fully sure what it means. Maybe it was customized by the company for their employee bowling team or something. But wouldn't put much value on it.
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Mr. Goodbar Tee: Star 77 & LRY Star 80 on Back, College Lane Tag

Post by jimmyj »

Revisiting this after noticing another College Lane tagged tee went for quite a bit. I was also able to see the back of one of the tags and the RN looks to be 46275.

According to the RN calculator - it estimates early 70s as to when this RN was first registered.

But finding anything else about the company is tough - this is the only entry I can find:

https://www.bizapedia.com/pa/college-la ... swear.html

Which has a 1977 as a filing date.

But can't dig up anything else.

So this is still a bit of a mystery, but I did find several CL shirts with 90s copyrights on them.

That said, I still can't rule out this tag being around in the 70s.
Jimmy J