Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
zargosh

Danzig A/B: god don't like it tees legit check

Post by zargosh »

Both of these Danzig shirts (listed as 1988) are currently for sale online at many hundreds of dollars.

They both have tags that make sense. One has a faded out Screen Stars with a late A, the other a Sof Tee by Tee Jays. Even though Sof Tee seems to show up more in the '90s, '88 seems to be a possibility as can be seen on these shirts (I wanted to put the pics in this post, but it seems like you can't add more than 10 images to a post):

The two Danzig shirts have very different coloring on the front image and different size fonts on the reverse text. Are they both authentic or is one (or both) a fake?

Danzig A
A5.png (128.34 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Danzig B
B5.png (410.84 KiB) Viewed 841 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Danzig A/B: god don't like it tees legit check

Post by jimmyj »

This is a great example because it highlights the variances that can happen between two originals.

I believe they are both real.

Likely not printed at the same printer, likely not printed with the exact same inks.

When you do a side-by-side - the fine details are all there. Compare the hands. The detail in each is perfect. A counterfeit would not capture all the lines used.

Counterfeiters usually have a tough time reproducing the fade you can see along the lower edge, where the print trails off. In this instance - they both match up very well. (click the image to enlarge it and compare em)
Attachments
danzig shirt side by side authentication
danzig shirt side by side authentication
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

Thanks for that explanation, Jimmy. It's really clear what you're talking about, I appreciate it. I like that bit about the fade, that's a good thing to look for. If I come across one that looks fake at some point, I'll add it to the thread.

I thought I put in a couple of links to '88 shirts with Sof Tee tags. Is there some restriction to putting grailed (or other) links in forum posts? Maybe I just forgot to actually put them in, it was like 3 am when I posted that thing. Also, am I right that there's a 10 image limit for posts? I tried a couple of times to put in an 11th and it just wouldn't take.

best,
Mark

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Yes sorry - I just checked, I bumped the images up to 15!

Apologies, you can put links to other places. I thought those links might have been a mistake because when I clicked them, I didn't see the tags you were referring to immediately and they were just random shirts - but no I see what you were doing.
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

cool, thanks. Yeah, I probably should have linked to the actual tag shot and not just the overall shirt listing.