Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
zargosh

photographing black shirts

Post by zargosh »

When I shoot black shirts indoors, it often comes out with an annoying purplish tint. I think you can see it pretty clearly on this blank reverse, which is just totally black
If there's some color in the picture, it's less noticeable, but still there
I tend to shoot outdoors, because the colors come out better (and the backdrop is nice), but I'd prefer to be shooting lay flat indoors.
Has anyone else run into this and come up with a fix? I've tried adjusting the exposure level, but haven't ended up with better results. I'm not using any lamps, just shooting in the day with natural light

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: photographing black shirts

Post by jimmyj »

I had the opposite problem of white shirts looking terrible. Black ones seem to be okay - I had natural light and artificial directly overhead. For the first many years I used to model all the shirts against a consistent backdrop - and I still think they turned out the best, although the live model vintage tee thing seems to be defunct.
Jimmy J

zargosh

Re: photographing black shirts

Post by zargosh »

That's funny, I don't seem to have any issue with white shirts.

The black ones are ok when I'm shooting up close, so if I'm taking a close up of the graphic or the tag, those come out fine. It's just these overheads where I'm trying to get a shot of the whole shirt that look screwy.