Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
benjaminroger

Vintage 1977 Mermaid and Native American Indian Graphic T-Shirt

Post by benjaminroger »

This t-shirt is a Hanes Beefy-T from 1977. The mermaid/Native American illustration and depiction is similar to those seen in comic books of the time. It’s also single stitch and the tag/logo seems to align with the date of production. Looking for any information on the shirt, value, and authenticity. I’m extremely interested in the subject and fell in love with it, but the seller is asking for $99.99. Seems pricey, so I reached out for more detail. The seller said “it’s because it’s the oldest shirt they own and like it a lot, but willing to negotiate.” I own a lot of vintage, but must say this one is throwing me for a loop!

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Vintage 1977 Mermaid and Native American Indian Graphic T-Shirt

Post by jimmyj »

That seems like a fair price to me. Unique design, not politically correct, 70s. It's going to be quite Small given it's a 70s M. And it's yellow, which typically, isn't the most popular t-shirt color.

I don't see any issues with authenticity!
Jimmy J

(Please note: Legit checks I do in this forum should not be considered 100% conclusive; I'm simply giving a gut reaction based on the limited information provided.)

benjaminroger

Post by benjaminroger »

Thanks, Jimmy! I really appreciate the thoughtful response. So even though it’s labeled 38-40, that measurement doesn’t necessarily translate to today’s M? Understandable given the change in eating habits, among other things! Do you think it’d be equivalent to, perhaps, a men’s XS today? Thanks again!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Does the listing have the measurements?

A 70s M that's 100% cotton (so they also shrunk, although it looks deadstock so maybe hasn't been washed/dried yet), might be a men's XS, although I don't think that even exists in modern sizes. Maybe it would be a Youth Large? ha.
Jimmy J

(Please note: Legit checks I do in this forum should not be considered 100% conclusive; I'm simply giving a gut reaction based on the limited information provided.)