Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
sooopernaught

Vintage Robert Crumb & Zap Comics?

Post by sooopernaught »

Hello. I recently picked up the attached shirts and was wondering if anyone could lend any insight into them. The dates on the shirts and the Hanes tags seem to match up (I think) but Google came up short when trying to find where exactly they came from.
Hanes Tag
Hanes Tag
Mr. Natural
Mr. Natural
Fritz the Cat
Fritz the Cat
Zap Comix
Zap Comix
I also have a bunch of other oddball older (70s-90s) shirts that I'm trying to find out more about. Should I post to this thread or create new ones?

Thanks!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Robert Crumb & Zap Comics?

Post by jimmyj »

legit and amazing! but not exactly sure what you are stumped with? promo tees for r crumb comix.

let me know what else youre trying to figure out.

please each one in a different post...and in the applicable forum...ie whats it worth or show and tell.
Jimmy J

sooopernaught

Post by sooopernaught »

Thanks for the quick response! My bad, I should have posted this in the "What's it worth" forum.

I was mostly wondering whether these were promos or perhaps bought from a mail order catalog, or if that even matters.

Any guess as to their value? I plan to sell all 3 as they unfortunately are way too small for me. Would have loved to rock the Fritz the Cat shirt.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I'd post them at $200 with offers. Recent activity shows some Crumb going for $30-ish. But they are good shirts, I wouldn't part with them for that low. Not sure of origins.
Jimmy J

sooopernaught

Post by sooopernaught »

After I pulled these out to list them I'm starting to suspect they might be repros. The two Zap Comix shirts are definitely printed, not screened. The Fritz the Cat one on the other hand is definitely screen printed. Is it possible these are not screen printed but still legit or is it a telltale sign it's vintage blank t shirt with a modern print? All three have that 80's Hanes tag.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

what do you mean printed and not screened? and vice versa? im sure they are probably legit - modern knockoffs/counterfeit vintage are not that rampant that every genre off tee is suspect.
Jimmy J

sooopernaught

Post by sooopernaught »

Sorry, not sure of the proper terminology. The two Zap Comix ones definitely aren't screen printed. They're "dyed on"? The ink is directly sprayed on the t-shirt, it's not slightly raised and "rubbery" like a screen print.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Likely going for the comic book feel! You can't exactly duplicate certain images with screen printing. Shading and gradients of color like in the sky - and in the green wouldn't be possible with a screen print - they would have to choose the exact same shade for the whole thing...or try to break it up - it's tough.

I think you're safe, they're legit.
Jimmy J

sooopernaught

Post by sooopernaught »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just don't want to inadvertently rip someone off.

I'll follow up with the sold values for the shirts I've posted when/if they sell.