Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
calm_vision

1980s The Cramps Wild Psychotic Teen Sounds shirt

Post by calm_vision »

I would love to get an appraisal for this Cramps shirt. I’ve only found one other post with a similar shirt but in black on defunkd. It’s paper thin, pit stains, and holes and rips. I appreciate any information given, thank you!
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: 1980s The Cramps shirt

Post by jimmyj »

Sooooooooooooo, I think it's safe to assume the shirt, itself, is true vintage. We have a few of these Mervyn's tees in our database:

https://www.defunkd.com/brand/mervyns/

One-color prints like these are the toughest things to authenticate, because the graphic can be reproduced fairly easily, with little effort and $ for counterfeiters. Black Flag for example - most of their early tees are all one color - and the imagery is super available across the internet.

A knock-off of this print is on spreadshirt. But it lacks some of the finer details yours does. The letters to the right of the skull for example.

So that's a good sign.

The other good sign is that a search of these tees on Worthpoint, I could only find one in black, long sleeve, but the front print seems to match up. As well, it only fetched $60 a few years ago - so may not be worth it for a counterfeitter.

But I would always end this with a disclaimer that we'd need to find other examples of this shirt to truly perform a proper authentication - and they seem to be scarce.

Where did you get it?
Attachments
cramps repro image
cramps repro image
Jimmy J

calm_vision

Re: 1980s The Cramps shirt

Post by calm_vision »

Thanks so much for the reply! I found this one at the goodwill bins in SoCal. I got lucky because I collect and sell mainly punk and metal shirts. This one definitely stood out to me !