Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
BigCat

Grandpa’s ‘97 Marilyn Monroe & ‘96 Underdog shirts

Post by BigCat »

Thanks in advance for the help, much appreciated!

My late grandfather absolutely loved Marilyn Monroe. He owned quite a bit of Marilyn related merch, including the tee in question. The licensing caption dates to 1997, and the Gildan Heavy Weight tag appears to be the same year, or at least late ‘90s.

The Underdog shirt was owned by my grandfather because he actually worked on the music for the original cartoon. Obviously, the shirt isn’t from that time period, as it’s licensing date is 1996 though. The tag is black, but heavily damaged, so I’m unsure of the brand. The care tag below is still there though, which tells me it was made in the USA, and the RN belongs to Bowe Industries.

I haven’t been able to find matching comps for either shirt so far, so I’m definitely wondering what y’all think.

Thanks!
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Grandpa’s ‘97 Marilyn Monroe & ‘96 Underdog shirts

Post by jimmyj »

Marilyn - decent size, and big face prints are hot right now. Might get $100-150 retail.

Underdog, very cool that he worked on the show - but don't think it's a staff-specific shirt, so don't think any additional value there. Probably get around $50.
Jimmy J

BigCat

Post by BigCat »

Thanks for your help! It’s great to learn a little more about the shirts and get an appraisal. I think I’ll be holding on to both as personals, they were definitely my grandpa’s favorites and pretty iconic to his memory.

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

what did your grampa do on the Underdog music? It's a great song. Speed of lightning, roar of thunder...

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

The underdog tag MIGHT be Changes btw, they were black and known to fade, and often had animation/old school themes. Although I don't remember ever having one with a double tag like that.

https://www.defunkd.com/brand/changes/
Jimmy J