Post a photo of a vintage garment and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
CRAZYBUBBA

1976 Montreal Olympics Adidas Track Jacket

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I sold this a couple of weeks ago. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MESOX:IT (I know, the pics are terrible).

I was wondering what its aprox value is. I had listed the buy it now as $125 and first bid at $25. The auction sold at the buy it now price within two days. Good buyer or good price?
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

Frank

Re: 1976 Montreal Olympics Adidas Track Jacket

Post by Frank »

maaaaaaannnnnnnn $125 is a steal for that, in my humble opinion! :o Very cool!

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I don't understand vintage AT ALL. I pick up a few things here and there, all stuff for my personal wear. When I feel like it's time for a change I'll sell it and be absolutely astounded at how much it sells for.

The shoes that I've recently listed are another example. They looked cool and they fit so I picked them up. I could never imagine anyone spending more than $25 on them, let alone $100+

How would you have determined the price of the jacket? I just looked at the other vintage jackets and priced mine a little higher due to the rarity of the logo.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

Frank

Post by Frank »

an item is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

since it's not a commodity (that is, something with an agreed upon price, such as gas or corn)- it's really alllll just luck. with a unique item, there is no floor or ceiling, really. it's like the auctions of Jesus appearing in a grilled cheese sandwich-it's really worth nothing until people create a value for it. a pair of rare Levi's jeans i was watching went for $3550 last month. If they were listed today, they could go for $1000 or $10000- it's all just luck! all it takes is two people getting into a bidding war- which is rare these days. two guys getting into a battle of ego.

that said, it helps to CREATE a sense of the rarity of an item and a story behind it if there is one, what antique dealers call provenance. where these jeans found in an abandoned salt mine in Utah or a used clothing bail? like that. Is it a piece of history or just something someone else donated to the Salvation Army?