Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
AmandainVermont

Early Champion Sweatshirt - 1950? Reverse Weave?

Post by AmandainVermont »

I bought two of these sweatshirts in a thrift store in Vermont and know very little about vintage sweat shirts. These are heavy and in very good condition. I’ve been researching all over the place and have learned that Champion was founded in 1919 as "Knickerbocker Knitting Mills" in Rochester, New York. It was renamed "Champion Knitting Mills Inc." in the 1930s. In the 1950s and 1960s, the company was called "Champion Knitwear Company”. It became "Champion Products" in 1967. 

I wonder what the 46 on the label means. And is this what you call reverse weave? It kind of has a second lining inside. The Hardwick Academy was torn down in 1970 and the local school mascot then became the Wildcats.

I appreciate any knowledge you can share. Amanda
Attachments
hardwick terriers
hardwick terriers

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Early Champion Sweatshirt - 1950? Reverse Weave?

Post by jimmyj »

Wow, relic! What's the measurement from pit to pit? 46 is probably the size.

There's a gent on IG you might contact, who is the Champion expert, he might even want to purchase one.
Jimmy J

AmandainVermont

Post by AmandainVermont »

Hi Jimmy and thanks. Is IG Instagram? What would be the name of the Champion expert on IG?
Yes, underarm to underarm is 23 inches. I can't believe the good condition of these pieces.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Tags and Threads - he authored our guide on Champion t-shirt tags:

https://www.defunkd.com/vintage-champion-t-shirt-tags/
Jimmy J