If you're new and want to say hello, do it here.
JoshB

Thrift Store Addict, Mid-Level Vintage T-Shirt Collector

Post by JoshB »

Hey everyone,

I have been a fan of this site for a while, but finally decided to post my stuff and register. Don't plan on selling at this time but still interested in getting some feedback on some of my more prized pieces. Looking forward to meeting some fellow t-shirt heads and learning more about this hobby/interest/love of mine.

I have been going to thrift stores as a hobby for probably about 7 years now, originally for vinyl records. I started looking in the T-shirt sections about 3 years ago. I go about 3-4 times a week. I've found it's getting harder and harder to come by good finds these days, all of my best stuff I found early on.

I'm sure my collection is modest compared to many of you, but my love of vintage tees is huge! Would love to hear people's feedback on any of my stuff, and would appreciate any additional knowledge you could give me on what I have.

Thanks!

Johnny65

Re: Thrift Store Addict, Mid-Level Vintage T-Shirt Collector

Post by Johnny65 »

Josh, I appreciate that you want to participate in the "Show" section but you have posted almost 2 pages of arguably non-vintage t-shirts. The show section should not be treated like your personal blog where you blot out everyone else's contributions. Which is exactly what you have done. If I may make a suggestion; take down some of your postings and spend a little more time interacting in the forum before you blast the "Show" section.

Just a suggestion.
collective [kəˈlɛktɪv]
http://worn75.blogspot.com/

JoshB

Post by JoshB »

Sorry I didn't know that they would all appear in the Show section at once. That's not what I was trying to do.

"Arguably non-vintage"? Wow, OK man. Thanks. I'll admit there may have been a couple of my shirts that were not extremely old, and actually I was looking forward to getting constructive feedback from people so I would know more about those items and possibly get definitive dates.

Last time I checked the 80's were 30 years ago, and the 90's were 20 years ago. If that's not vintage in your eyes then I don't know what is.
Last edited by JoshB on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

Hey Josh - ya sorry man. I probably came off sounding like a jerk. My apologies. I did take a closer look at your tees and you have some nice pieces. The ones that stood out as probably not quite old enough to be considered vintage in my opinion were the late 90's ones. Throw a couple of your nicer pieces onto the "Show" section. It's great when everyone contributes a little at a time. That way we get a nice variety.

BTW...Jimmy is the "man" behind Defunkd. I'm only a member.
collective [kəˈlɛktɪv]

JoshB

Post by JoshB »

Alright man, I appreciate that. I'm not trying to get off on the wrong foot here already. Maybe I'll try again in a couple days and go more slowly and carefully with the postings. I will also try to include more pictures showing tag details and image copyright information to authenticate my items. By the way you have some very nice stuff also. I think your point about the late 90's shirts is valid, however the defunkd homepage defines vintage tees as minimum 15 years old. That would make anything up to 97 considered vintage. Like I said in this post title, I'm only a "mid-level" collector who has been doing it for a few years, I just don't have the quality of collection as most of you, so unfortunately some of my stuff will be not quite as old. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk either, I was just surprised. I never have any luck with forums, perhaps I should have just stayed silent and let the shirts do the talking.

Cheers & happy collecting

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

Thanks Josh. No worries mate.

Your collection is as good as anyone else's because it makes you happy.

Looking forward to your continued participation. :D
collective [kəˈlɛktɪv]

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I haven't seen your collection yet (third world internet :( ), but it's important to make the distinction between "old" and "vintage".
With respect to garments made in the last 20 years, vintage means that there's something special to the piece. Whereas, older pieces merit vintage status simply due to their uniqueness/existence.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!