Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
The5thMan

Ian Dury & the Music Students '84 Promo t-shirt

Post by The5thMan »

I have a rather tatty Ian Dury & the Music Students promo tour original t-shirt printed by Fifth Column dating from 1984.

I spotted a similar item (and condition) on Etsy for an eye-watering price, and one that I wont be getting too excited about believing. Can anyone out there shed any more info on this very worn/knackered item including realistic value if any idea? See pics.
Attachments
IMG_6674.JPG (256.31 KiB) Viewed 542 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Ian Dury & the Music Students '84 Promo t-shirt

Post by jimmyj »

Love it. We had a similar one posted in this forum a while back:

what-s-it-worth-f20/rare-ian-dury-1983-shirt-t2189.html

Love the frame, you might consider using one of these:

https://www.defunkd.com/how-to-frame-a-vintage-t-shirt/

The wear is awesome. But yeah, that Etsy price is far-fetched. Especially since that one is sleeveless, and the collar has been removed.
Jimmy J

The5thMan

Post by The5thMan »

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated considering the t-shirt nearly made it to the bin earlier this week during a clear out! I bought this at a stall at Finsbury Park (London), Madstock 1992 when Ian Dury & the Blockheads were on the bill to headline act, Madness, for a bit of provenance / history. I have had an expert summary, and it's been suggested to certify the t-shirt, and then can be 'presented' to Fifth Column. I'm not a dealer, just a punter, and just wondered what benefits certification would bring for this item... ? Best. Keith

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Hey man! It was me that did the feedback!

If you don't plan on selling it and keeping it in that frame, certification isn't really necessary. A lot of users certify it before selling, especially if they are new to selling and don't have a reputation. The certification is searchable on the app - whereas feedback is private.
Jimmy J

The5thMan

Post by The5thMan »

Ah, that makes sense. Yep, looking to sell the shirt so will head to eBay, I guess, with a sensible reserve based on your valuation. If it doesn't sell I'll keep it in the frame (instead of in the garbage)! Thanks again for the excellent expert summary.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I would squeeze in the word VTG and maybe PUNK just to get more eyes on it.
Jimmy J

The5thMan

Post by The5thMan »

Will do! Thanks. Surprised to see a few watchers already... but will see what happens.